Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Enemy Within - Journal Entry for First Session

The Enemy Within - Journal Entry for First Session
Taken from the journal of Conrad Feld
Being the adventures of:
Conrad Feld - Male Human Outrider, Middenlander

Helvaine Thorpe - Female Human Servant, Middenlander

Elise - Female Human Zealot, Marienburger

Gratoren Gorintor (Grat) - Male Dwarf Toll Keeper, Ostermarker

Raymund (Red) - Male Human Rogue, Marienburger (now masquerading as Kastor Lieberung)

Rake Wallburn -  Male Halfling Agitator, Averlander

Aubentag, 26 Jahrdrung, 2512 - The Road to Altdorf

The road was long coming down from Middenheim. It was uneventful until two days out from Altdorf. While riding ahead I heard the pained cry of a horse ahead. I left my horse Bianka and crept through the woods finding a huge mutant cutting down a poor horse, still tied to a overturned carriage. There were three other mutants on their feet and one they were trying to bandage up. It appeared there were no survivors of the attack. I crept away to gather the others so we could rid the empire of the monsters. The others charged up the road while I struck from the shadows. I put an arrow in one before grabbing my shield just in time to intercept an incoming bolt from something hiding behind the carriage. While the party brought down the giant, the "doctor", and the cloven hooved beast that I'd already shot, I entangled the scaly crossbowman with my bola before dispatching it with my axe.

In the wreckage of the carriage we found a man that looked disturbingly like our companion Raymond. On him we found a letter saying he was to inherit the estate of a baroness from the South of Reikland. Raymond, Red as we usually call him, instantly saw there was money to be made, and took on the persona of the dead man, Kastor Lieberung.

Marktag, 27 Jahrdrung, 2512 - Altdorf

We reached Altdorf on the eve of Market day The stinking streets were packed with the largest crowds I have ever seen. "Kastor" was approached in the crushing press by a shady pair who made an unusual sign. One of them kept touching the pinky of his right hand to his left ear, clearly expecting some response, that our "Kastor" did not know. The men left and we saw a burly man with a square jaw open a door for them.

Contrary to my better judgment, I agreed to stay with the rest of the party at an overpriced inn within this uncomfortably crowded city. That evening we accompanied Red asking around the dirty docks district for someone who recognized the sign. An honorless thug tried to lie to us claiming he knew what he did not. He recognized the error if his ways quickly, though Red was much too generous, encouraging his bad behavior by buying him a drink anyway.

Later, on the shady streets near the docks, we ran into a man that the dwarf knew from Ostermark. I didn't catch much of the conversation, I was too busy watching my purse to protect it from dock rats. Red and Grat went to drink Vodka with him while Rake and I went to check on this job of his. I shouldn't have…

Rake’s address was being watched so I knew something was up, but I went with him to the back door anyway. It was answered by a watchman who wanted to ask us questions. We didn't agree to go down to the watch house and got out of there before he could decide to detain us, and made our way back to the inn.

Backertag, 28 Jahrdrung, 2512 - Altdorf

After checking on Bianka, I wandered the city, getting my bearings around town. Though struggling through the press was less than enjoyable, it was better than sitting at the inn or standing around while the rest of the party dug through records at the temple of Verena and Elise spent ALL day praying at the Great Cathedral.

When the others returned they said they had found an address that the real Kastor use to own in Nuln.

Bezahltag, 29 Jahrdrung, 2512 - Altdorf

Today I kept an eye on the streets while Helvaine and Rake met with a forger to arrange for the papers that we need for Kastor's inheritance.

Konistag, 30 Jahrdrung, 2512 - Altdorf

On the fourth night in the city, "Kastor" attended a high society ball. Looking for more information about the baroness, then he met with the forger to get the final details straight for the paperwork. Once that was settled, the dwarf drug me along to try and secure passage down the river, despite the fact that the road would be just as easy, and cheaper. They had heard some nonsense rumor about a plague of red blotches wiping out the village of Blutroch and it had them all spooked.

When we got back to the inn after making travel arrangements, we were surprised hear that those shady characters from the first day were following the rest of the group, then were both killed with a crossbow from behind. We are holed up in our room with a guard posted. It will be good to get out of the city at least.

Angestag, 31 Jahrdrung, 2512 - The River Reik

First thing this morning, I went directly to the dock to get Bianka settled while the others made their devotions to Sigmar. While I waited nervously, I prayed to Taal for a safe journey down his river, but he did not reassure me…

As we pushed off from the dock we spotted the burly man who had been associated with the two strange, dead ne’er-do-wells, watching us as we sailed down river.

No comments:

Post a Comment